It's All Advertising

I have an illness that makes it impossible to not find parallels between advertising and everything else. This blog is a way for me to express all the weird ways I look at ads and my random new ways of thinking about them. Sometimes it’ll be smart, sometimes it’ll be stupid, and maybe some time it will change your view on everything in the world. But let's be honest. It's all advertising.

Friday, March 3

Paradessence



There's a novel out there called Savage Girl by Alex Shakar, that talks about a really cool theory that seems to hold a lot of truth. It's called "paradessence" and it's essentially the thought that every successful product has an inherent paradox. I don't remember the examples from the book, but here are some I've thought of: Harley Davidson has created a community of individuality, McDonald's is a cold and undifferentiated family restaurant, bottled water is a commodity that's a luxury.

If you take this theory one step further you can actually begin to concept on your product this way. You take the characteristics of your brand, and you begin to market the opposite. Look at the H3 "Monster" ad, they don't sell the Hummer as big, they sell it as small.

I like to do this when I get writer's block, or I can't get my head around a brand benefit, I'll just draw a line with 2 arrows on the ends and put one aspect of the paradox on each end and think about where the brand is, and sell the opposite. It's kind of a Yin and Yang way of branding.

1 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Alan Curtis said...

I want to share with you all here on how I get my loan from Mr Benjamin who help me with loan of 400,000.00 Euro to improve my business, It was easy and swift when i apply for the loan when things was getting rough with my business Mr Benjamin grant me loan without delay. here is Mr Benjamin email/whatsapp contact: +1 989-394-3740, lfdsloans@outlook.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home